So, my most wonderful, supportive, hardworking, dedicated daycare provider is packing up her truck today and leaving tomorrow for Iowa. She has been watching Jack and Julia for just about two years now. Oh, the memories. The odd way I met her. The seizure in 9-08 followed by her calling 911 when she couldn't reach me, the firetruck and the ambulance showing up to her house (where she had to still watch and control about 6 other kids amidst the chaos) to save my baby -mind you this all happened on the second day that she had ever watched Julia. I was SURE she would not want her back after that, but when Julia was back out of the hospital, I reluctantly called her, and she was waiting with open arms for her to come back to daycare. The determination she had to make a difference in Julia's life. The hours of support she gave to me when I thought I was going to lose it over the last two years. How do you say goodbye to someone like that? Well, I got her a nice card, and gave her a generous bonus, and a big fat hug and lots of tears. I will miss her dearly.
The interesting thing is, what brought her to this move to Iowa, was her experiences with Julia, among other things of course. But Julia had such an impact on her, that she decided to look into careers helping special needs children, and to help their families. And she found the perfect job, in Iowa, where her family is, and simply could not turn it down. I understand her decision 100%, and I am proud to say that, if not for Julia, she never would have thought about this as a career. If she can help MORE kids than just my one, and help MORE families, than just mine, then - GO GET EM Dawn. You are an amazing inspiration to me.
So, hard to say goodbye, but everything happens for a reason I suppose.
I found a new daycare provider who is so super excited to help Julia. She has already told me all the wonderful things she wants to do for her. She wants to get Julia "out" into the community more to learn how to function better in social situations. She PROMISED me she would get her potty trained - we will see about that one - but she seems determined. She has watched her the last two nights and said she had no problems with her at all and that they seem to have already connected. She is persuing her undergrad in education, and then plans to get her masters in Special Education. She has worked with many autistic children (older - in their teens - and she wants to get julia to a better place sooner than these kids did). She is a dream come true so far - she even called me yesterday while I was stuck at work, and asked if she could pick up a few things that she noticed we needed for the home and kids......really??????? Seriously?????? She came an hour early yesterday to help go through all the kids clothes and get rid of the too small ones, and she bought hangers to hang up and arrange the clothes that do still fit. She sat here happily til midnight until Shawn and I got back from his 20th high school reunion last night, and then stayed til 1am just talking about how excited she was to have met us! AND, her favorite restuarant is the RIO! Her favorite music is COUNTRY, and she loves going to all the concerts that I wish I could go to! A match made in heaven I would say....
So, hard to say goodbye to my longtime friend and care provider today, but so far, easy to say hello to someone new - it will all work out!
Susan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment